Lesbian Dayton has two parts - (1) this website and (2)social groups with events announced by emailed invitations.
Lesbian Dayton's mission is to build a vibrant, welcoming, and accessible lesbian community in the Miami Valley by improving access to existing social opportunities, creating additional social opportunities, and by increasing lesbian visibility and involvement.
Lesbian Dayton's social groups are designed for those who join the list to organize/host an activity.
The word "lesbian" is used as an easy way for us to be found - we live in a society where boundaries and language are forever shifting. Women who identify as bi-sexual have emailed asking if they are welcome at Ld... so... Lesbian, for Lesbian dayton purposes, means someone who lives as a woman, and who has romantic love interests with other women.
There is no magic genie in the sky to create our social opportunities. We want it, we have to create it.
The social group management is donated to the lesbian community to provide a free, and easy way, for women to co-create what they want socially.
You want it? Help create it! The social groups are a free service.
There is no cost to join the Ld social groups, you simply need to go to the "contact us" page and subscribe.
The number, and type, of activities organized is fully dependent on the women who have subscribed to the list.
If you want to do something with other lesbians (hike/watch sports/go clubbing/go to festival, etc) you can send all the details of the event in to lesbiandayton at least two weeks prior to the event.
Lesbian dayton will create the email and collect the rsvp list. The day before the event, Ld will email you the list of women who are attending your event/activity.
Requirements for Lesbian dayton events
* all women on the relevant email list(s) are invited to attend Ld events
* the event must be announced, and managed, by Lesbian dayton using the info@lesbiandayton email address, otherwise you cannot use the Lesbian dayton name in connection with your private activity
* the event must have a "host" for the event - the social group is not a news service for announcing some event happening in the community - it is specifically to organize a group of women to attend some activity with you.
* at all Ld activities, the host/organizer is required to make sure new women are welcomed warmly and introduced to others in attendance (the warm and welcoming part of the mission)
* there is no discrimination at Ld events - the mission is to build a warm, welcoming community... that is incompatible with discrimination and it is just ugly anyway...
So, what activity are you going to plan/host?
Are you a card carrying homosexual ???? If not, isn't it time? Join the Greater Dayton LGBT Center and get your very own homo card!
Lesbian dayton is not part of the Greater Dayton LGBT Center --- but Ld is a BIG supporter of our GDLGBT Center.
Your membership supports many events and programs offered to our Greater Dayton LGBT community:
* The Annual Pride Parade & Festival & Dinner
* Quarterly dinners - the Annual Pasta Dinner is September 14, 2013
* Scholarships and support of "When the Stars Come Out" PFLAG Dayton chapter dance competition fundraiser
* National Coming Out Day event - October 11, 2013
* Sponsorship of a film at the Greater Dayton LGBT Film Festival (we sponsored Cloudburst in 2012)
* Thanksgiving Community Dinner - November 23, 2013 - Gay Men's Chorus will perform
* Dayton's largest lesbian party - the Women's Valentine's Dance - February 22, 2014
* Do-It with Pride Bowling Fundraiser - February 15th, 2014
* The LGBT Resource Guide (a directory of orgs and businesses) a quarterly newsletter and the website
* Other special events, and
* Discount admission to many events in the LGBT community
Annual membership is just $30 single, $45 household and $15 for students/seniors! And... you get an official homo card, that is right, you can become an official card carrying homosexual!!!
If you are not a member, there is no time like the present to help support your community!
Contact the The Greater Dayton LGBT Center for details on how to join the center.
Foster and Adoptive Parenting
The National Youth Advocate Program has actively reached out to Lesbian Dayton in an effort to increase the number of LGBTQ, and LGBTQ supportive, foster and foster adoptive parents in the Miami Valley.
If you have ever considered opening your heart and home to a child in need, please consider contacting them.
Dana Bobalik, LSW
To get invited to most of our events you will need to subscribe to one or more of the email lists.
To subscribe please go to our Contact Us page, click on Subscribe to Activity Announcements" and subscribe to the email lists you are interested in joining.
Did you know the library publishes a newsletter highlight LGBTQ books?? Check out the List page for a link.
Some of the social groups operated by Lesbian Dayton:
List your lesbian events & lesbian or gay & lesbian groups with us! Send information to email@example.com at least two weeks prior to your event so we have time to get it on the website.